What is considered a dental emergency for Philadelphia area patients?
When a dental emergency occurs, Philadelphia patients are often at a loss as to who they can visit, especially when they happen at the most inopportune times. Lost teeth, severe toothaches, and broken restorations can occur day or night, and having a dentist available for care is essential for immediate treatment.
Many patients of David Spilkia Family and Cosmetic Dentistry are aware that Dr. David Spilkia offers emergency dental care, but some are unsure as to what constitutes a dental emergency. Below is a quick breakdown of common dental emergencies handled in our practice:
- Broken, fractured teeth – caused by trauma or conditions such as bruxism
- Dental accidents – a blow to the mouth that can result in tooth or tissue damage
- Trauma to a natural tooth – caused by injury or large area of decay
- Abscesses – swelling around a tooth, which may require root canal therapy
- Swollen jaw – a joint that has malfunctioned or infection that has occurred and requires treatment
- Infected tooth – problems with the dental pulp that can typically be resolved with root canal therapy or extraction
- Lost restorations (veneers, crowns, and bridges) – when dental restorations are loose or come off, they leave the natural tooth exposed to problems. Replacement is done as soon as possible to ensure maintenance of oral health.
These are just a few of the common dental emergencies handled in our practice. Patients will often call our hotline to describe their situation, and our team can decide if the problem warrants immediate attention or just a next-day dental appointment with Dr. David Spilkia.
Dr. David Spilkia is a dental professional who understands the importance of a healthy, beautiful smile and offers emergency dental care to new and current patients in his practice. He assists patients of all ages in his facility and is excited to meet with you and your family for your emergency and general dental care needs.