Dentist’s guide to the first signs of gum disease
While it is widely known that gum disease can cause missing teeth and pain, many patients without these symptoms assume their teeth and gums are healthy. The trouble is, the first signs of gum disease are often subtle and can easily go unnoticed. When this happens, gum disease is often overlooked until it has advanced and caused irreparable damage. The good news is that with regular dental care and an understanding of early warning signs, patients can be on the lookout for potential symptoms of gum disease.
Emerging signs of gum disease
- Blotchy, red, or swollen gums.
- Gums that bleed during regular oral hygiene.
- Teeth that are shifting out of place or feel loose.
- Chronic bad breath.
- Changes in the fit of dental appliances.
- Mouth sores.
- Separation of gums from teeth.
If you notice any of the above symptoms, it is important to schedule an appointment. During an evaluation, the dentist will determine if you have gingivitis, the first stage of gum disease. Gingivitis is curable. Symptoms can be reversed through a professional deep cleaning, improvements in at-home oral hygiene, and more frequent dental visits. If gingivitis is left to advance to periodontal disease, it can cause tooth loss, bone deterioration, and other serious health issues.
Preventing gum disease
- Brush your teeth at least twice each day; ideally after every meal.
- Floss frequently to remove food particles that can get stuck between teeth.
- Quit smoking or use of smokeless tobacco, as it increases risk of gum disease.
- Maintain regular dental visits for cleanings and exam, as often as recommended by your dentist.
Dr. Spilkia is committed to improving the lives of his patients through advanced dental services and early detection. To learn more about preventing gum disease and improving oral health, contact him today at (267) 463-2777 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. David Spilkia - David Spilkia Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
Among the range of cosmetic and general dentistry procedures provided by Dr. Spilkia are restorative dentistry, dental implants, smile makeovers, and Invisalign orthodontics.