Full and Partial dentures help patients in Philadelphia, PA enjoy a restored smile
At David Spilkia Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we provide patients with modern dentures that are made of the highest quality materials. When you come to our Philadelphia, PA office for a solution to your missing teeth, you can be assured that your dental prosthetics will look, feel and function naturally so that you can have confidence in your new smile. Dr. Spilkia and his team believe that a healthy, beautiful smile is important to patients’ emotional and physical wellbeing. All our treatment plans are highly customized to fit into each patients’ lifestyle. Whether you are just missing a few teeth and need partial dentures or need a full denture, you should contact the team at David Spilkia Family & Cosmetic dentistry to find out how we can help.
The importance of replacing missing teeth
We all know that teeth play an important role in chewing and speaking, but do you know the true cost of missing teeth? Every time you take a bite of food and chew on it, your teeth are working, and the jawbone is being stimulated to maintain its strength. When you are missing teeth, there is no longer any stimulation to the bone in that area, which means the bone loss will start occurring. It’s estimated that up to 25 percent of the width of the jawbone is lost in the first year of missing a tooth. Eventually, this can lead to the shifting of nearby teeth and sunken facial appearance.
Request an Appointment
No more “fake” looking dentures
When we mention dentures as an option for missing teeth, many patients are immediately worried that the appliance will look like fake teeth. Many of us can think back to the dentures our grandparents used to wear, and almost always we remember how unnatural they looked and the embarrassment of them continually or slipping out of place.
Dentures have come a long way in recent years.. In fact, when it comes to dentures, there are many different options for patients to consider. At our office, we offer the following types of dentures:
- Traditional – These full dentures are a removable solution that replaces all the natural teeth in an arch. They are provided after the gum tissue has adequately healed.
- Partial – These dentures are designed when only some teeth are missing.
- Immediate – Another removable option, these dentures are supplied on the same day teeth are extracted so patients never have to go toothless.
- Implant-supported dentures – These dentures are held in place via dental implants, which are replacements for the natural tooth roots.
Getting started with dentures
If you are ready to find out more about dentures, we invite you to call our office to schedule an appointment. During this initial conversation, Dr. Spilkia will do a full examination and will discuss your preferences, budget, and desires. This is a great time to ask questions about the different types of dentures, so you can feel confident in choosing the system that is best for you.
Once you have decided which type of denture is right for you, we can move forward with the next steps. In all cases, we will need to take impressions and send digital information to the laboratory for fabrication of the dentures. This part of the process is crucial to ensure that the dentures fit properly. We want all our solutions to look and feel natural.
If there are any remaining decayed or damaged teeth, the dentist will extract them at this time. Following any extractions, the gum tissue will need time to heal. Most conventional denture services take several months to be complete. Many patients opt for immediate denture solutions to wear during the interim.
Some of the benefits of wearing immediate dentures include:
- They can protect the extraction sites and minimize post-op bleeding
- They give patients confidence to smile in public
- They help patients avoid the sunken facial appearance that occurs without teeth
- They can help patients maintain normal speech
- They help patients adjust to a prosthetic, which makes the process easier when the permanent denture is received
Dr. David Spilkia - David Spilkia Family and Cosmetic Dentistry
Among the range of cosmetic and general dentistry procedures provided by Dr. Spilkia are restorative dentistry, dental implants, smile makeovers, and Invisalign orthodontics.